Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Amsterdam Subway

My experience with the subway in Amsterdam (I think that's the right map) is pretty limited. We used it to get out to the Amsterdam arenA for an Ajax game one night. It is generally pretty fast, but one of my friends had a problem - the ticket machine ate her debit card (she had a six digit PIN and it wouldn't accept that), and so we had to traipse around Amsterdam for about an hour trying to figure out to whom to speak to get her card returned. We were almost late for our dinner before the game. But we made it in time (due in no small part to the subway's speed and efficiency) so no harm done.

The tough part was that after the game, certain subway stops seem to close down. I'm not sure if that is a common thing or if it was just, for whatever reason, happening on the night that we were there, but everyone else exiting the Arena seemed to be confused as well. We asked quite a few people for directions, and followed a group of people, and eventually after walking around for a while (in the freezing cold) we figured out how to get back into Amsterdam proper. In general, I'd recommend it - however, try to look up the schedule beforehand if you are staying out late. Maybe after a certain time only express trains run, I don't know. What I know is that we were very cold for a long time.

I also don't remember the pricing or what the train was actually like inside, so I can't help you there.

Rating: 9 out of 12. Although I don't remember a lot of specifics about this subway, it was easy enough for some foreign girls to navigate while upset and in a hurry, so that should count for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment