Saturday, May 23, 2009

Staten Island Ferry

I was re-reading my New York post and I realized that it sounds like I am talking down about Staten Island. I'm not, I swear, Staten Island just doesn't have any of the subway lines so prevalent through the rest of New York City. What it has got is arguably better, although it doesn't really help you navigate the Island at all. It's got the Ferry.

The Ferry is free (bonus), above ground (bonus), scenic (bonus), fairly quick (bonus)*, uh, free... I guess I'm running out of good things to say here. The thing is, it's a really pretty ride and you get to see some interesting stuff from the vantage point of the deck of a boat, but in the end you're still going to Staten Island, so kind of a bummer.

Actually, it also goes back, from Staten Island to Manhattan, and that's exciting! So if you think of it that way it's really a lot better. Anyway I guess I could list "safe" under all those bonuses, but that crazy ferry driver from a few years ago keeps coming to mind, the one who drove the boat into the pier or whatever, and killed a ton of people. And if that's not unsafe I don't know what is. Thankfully, that kind of thing seems to be pretty rare. I imagine if it weren't the ferry would stop running, right?

*quicker than swimming which is the only other way I can think to get there, bar driving.



So anyway, S.I. Ferry! A lot of bonuses, and the only major negative can be turned around with the power of positive thinking, so I'm going to say: 10 out of 12!

2 comments:

  1. How can you say you are not talking down "about" SI but then say "you're still going to Staten Island, so kind of a bummer"? Are you crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what are you going to do on staten island if you're relying on public transportation? it's kind of a bummer.

    ReplyDelete